Sunday 30 June 2013

The Obamas hit town!

I doubt whether Fish Hoek has ever had so much excitement going on. It seems as though the South Peninsula is the place to be. First there was the practice run with the helicopters landing on the sportsfields, then the endless speculation about when they would arrive and where they were going. For me, the biggest excitement was the helicopters. I still go outside to look at any plane that goes past, even Boeings (and Airbuses, Linden).

Although it's pretty sleepy down this neck of the woods, quite a few people turned out to see them arrive and wave at the side of the road. Not me, I was up a ladder painting window frames. There aren't many people I would line the side of the road to see. Hmm...nope, can't think of any offhand. I prefer to observe celebrity from the comfort of my couch. I think its because I dislike the hype that robs them of their privacy and by leaving them to their own devices, let them try and lead a normal life.

I was fascinated to hear from various friends along the way who observed the cavalcade from their homes on the hillsides, that Michelle and the girls went to see the penguins while poor Dad had to do the official duties. Mind you, having smelled the penguins, I think he may have got the better end of the deal.

It's great that the weather was good, as we Capetonians love to show off our city, and I sincerely hope that their memories of the Mother City will only be good ones. They didn't come to my house for tea, but c'est la vie!

No comments:

Post a Comment