Saturday 29 June 2013

Budget meals

Sorting through the bookshelves today, I came across some stories I wrote back in the early 80s. One in particular caught my fancy and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

The neighbour put out the pets' polony to thaw for their supper later that day. When she went to slice it some hours later, she couldn't find it anywhere. She asked her two teenage daughters, who had been in the kitchen making an afternoon snack after school, whether they had seen the polony, and they said, yes, they had eaten it all because it was so delicious. It had not occurred to them that it was pet food, as that wasn't their department in the household! She laughed till she cried, but they were less than amused, particularly when they found out that the main ingredient was pig's gullet!

Moral of the story (and it still applies today in particular): read the label of everything before you eat it!

And while we are discussing 'budget' meals, the other night I gave He Who Can Fix Anything baked beans on toast for supper. If you know him, you will realise that this is unheard of. I have always produced meat and 4 veg for dinner and a pudding - cold in summer and hot in winter, for the last 34 years, because that is what he likes. I can only say he must have mellowed in his old age, because he pronounced himself perfectly happy with the meal, and had milo for dessert. Looks like I'm being let out early for good behaviour! You can see from the picture that steam is rising from the beans, so it's not as if I didn't cook!

No comments:

Post a Comment