Tuesday 14 June 2016

15 minutes of infamy

The PA system crackled and a muffled voice mumbled, "Will passenger ..... on flight ... to Cape Town please report to the boarding gate". I could only identify one word and it seemed to be Pamela, but as there was still half an hour before the flight left, I couldn't imagine why I would be called. Certainly not for an upgrade to business class on such a small plane.
After the third call, I was quite sure it was Pamela. Then I  noticed I was sitting at Gate 1, not Gate 4. Well excuse me for only knowing how to board international flights! I hurried to the gate and asked if it was me they were calling. Yes, all the other passengers had boarded so they thought they would leave early! Again, excuse me for not knowing airlines were ever early.
I strode across the apron under the watchful stare of the pilot who was only about 5 metres away and waved a silent apology.
Fortunately he laughed and waved back, relieving the cringe worthiness of tbe situation. My 15 minutes of infamy.






We flew at 16 000 feet to avoid headwinds and most of the turbulence and I was able to take some great photos of the coastline. I was particularly enchantedby the multiple circular rainbows that formed a target from the sun's reflection on the clouds below us and even more so when the plane's shadow joined it. A fascinating phenomenon!

No comments:

Post a Comment