Saturday 25 June 2016

Constant companions

There's a great deal to be said for the loving companionship of a dog. I've always been a cat person, preferring their aloofness of character and total independence, but seventeen years ago we found our little Monty, the runt of the litter, and can say that he turned out to be the best and the longest living. This is due to a great extent to HWCFA's undying devotion to Monty and I have no doubt that it is difficult for him to watch his rapid decline into old age. This is possibly why he is leaving the caretaking to me, as he prepares himself for not having his companion. We got little Susie when Monty was 3 as a pal and they got along well enough, but Susie has been blind for a while and can't rough and tumble like she used to, so life is quiet for the two of them. Yet they are always close by me, and as I move around the house or garden, deaf Monty in particular is my shadow.




Enter young Cleo! Chaos reigned for some months as she mercilessly tormented the old dogs, not understanding their disabilities. As she has matured, she has stopped snapping at their heels and biting at their ears and has settled into her correct role of devoted companion to me. Those big brown eyes look at me as if to say thank you for rescuing me and letting me live a pampered life of warmth, security and a full tummy - all I ask is that you throw the ball for hours, let me chase the cats and take me on exciting walks down at the rocks and I will give you a lifetime of devoted companionship. Oh, and I'll also be the prettiest little dog in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment