Thursday 23 June 2016

The food dilemma

Ýesterday was a food-filled day. There was just no getting away from it. I started off with my normal breakfast of Greek yoghurt laced with turmeric and black pepper, followed by two eggs. This sees me through to lunch time, and I  was going to meet my dad at the Foodbarn, home of Franck Dangereux, for lunch, despite the fact that I had a Toastmasters' dinner in the evening. Imagine my dismay when, following some infrequent purchases at the local mall pharmacy, I was told that I qualified for a free breakfast at an adjacent cafe. Oh, I  couldn't possibly, I said. I'm on my way to lunch. What about another day. No, only today. Another cause for dismay was thst one of the criteria for qualification was being a senior citizen! I fixed the cashier with a beady eye and enquired how she knew I was a senior citizen, and she very deftly sidestepped that one. We had a good laugh, but she confirmed that I could give the slip to someone else who could produce it at the restaurant. Well, I  trawled that mall and couldn't find any matches for old, looking in need of breakfast, or decrepit enough to have been shopping at the pharmacy. I did try to give it away to an old lady that I did know, but she brushed it aside and that was that.
Lunch was sublime as always. The Foodbarn never disappoints, and although I had a risotto and, oops, hot choc brownie, rather than the tasting menu chosen by the rest of the family, I could see trouble coming at dinner.
Indian food is always irresistible for me, but I restrained myself as best I could and was very controlled by my standards. The entire Toastmasters event was, as expected, professional, entertaining and inspiring.
Surprisingly, I slept well despite my vast intake.
On the other side of the coin, there are those who can only dream of getting a scrap of food sometimes, and these excessive indulgences make me feel that a concerted effort should be made to steer food away from its current status of a form of entertainment for the privileged and spend some of what we save on letting someone in need share in our good fortune. How can we turn a hungry person away without giving them a portion from our plate?

No comments:

Post a Comment