Thursday 16 June 2016

Back breaking day

What a day! After countless years we have at last put down a proper floor over the wooden slats of the enclosed balcony. This has achieved a number of important goals: the dust from the garage below won't blow up into the house in a southeaster, our very old dogs who sometimes don't get outside in time won't be irrigating the garage (a big bonus), and the overall look is now far more pleasing to the eye. Naturally, He Who Can Fix Anything did it himself, with me as reluctant and muttering assistant. I can tell you that having moved the substantial amount of furniture twice has left me a physical wreck, with all the good work done by the physiotherapist a thing of the past. But that was not the final straw that broke the camel's back.
We were finally eating dinner as it grew dark when my phone rang and our dog groomer asked me if Monty was at home. Of course, I said, as I looked around and realised that I couldn't see him. Well, she had found him down at the Kom where he had slipped on the rocks and fallen into the icy sea, and although he didn't have his name tag, she knew it was him and had my number in her phone. He had slipped out when the gate was opened and took the gap, proving that there is life in the old boy yet. He is 17, deaf, eyesight failing and badly arthritic, so much so that he cannot go walking anymore.
What a relief that she was in the right place at the right time. We might never have seen him again - his guardian angel definitely sent her there this evening. Thanks so much, Trijntjie! Monty is bathed, dried and snuggled up in bed. I have no d
I, on the other hand, need some serious work done on my aching back after bending over the bath! Small price to pay for Monty's comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment