Saturday 11 June 2016

Heave ho!

A day of drizzle meant no walk on the beach, so other leisure activities kicked in - started a big jigsaw puzzle (a favourite pastime since I was 2 years old) and a session on the rowing machine.  I've never been one for sport - I never even made the netball team at school - and prefer to watch the world's best from the comfort of the couch, but I am the first to acknowledge the importance of exercise.
The shortness of my stride means that I need to take twice as many steps as the person I am walking with just to keep up with them and I always find myself trailing behind - kind of defeats the purpose of a companionable stroll. I am far more comfortable paddling my own canoe, literally and figuratively, so the rowing machine was the obvious choice.
Being technologically challenged, I couldn't figure out how to set the screen for feedback on my speed, distance, calories burned (the important bit) or what I'd had for breakfast. There was no clock on the wall or scenery passing by, so I row, row, rowed my boat until I estimated I'd done a couple of turns around the bay, stowed my oars and heaved myself back onto dry land, feeling rather satisfied with the effort.
The consensus was that I had barely left the jetty, but I have the stiff muscles to prove that it couldn't possibly be true. I'm looking forward to my next trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment