Tuesday 23 December 2014

Fa-la-la-la-la

I went to our family church Carol Service last night – the whole point of Christmas is lost if there is not an acknowledgement of the reason for this celebration, which has become lost in a quagmire of forced consumerism – a time to spend whatever you managed to save during the year (or use the last of your credit limit) to buy gifts way beyond what is required by the ordinary man.
I am not the least of these offenders, although the list has shrunk considerably over the years, because I like to give presents, even without reciprocal gifts. But wait! I have completely gone off the track!
As I was saying, the point of Christmas is to celebrate the birth of Jesus, upon whose teachings the Christian faith is based, although interpretation and adherence can best be described as thoroughly interfered with by man. And once again, I drift off the track! That is the subject of another blog, maybe or maybe not.
Mom and Dad, now in their mid-80s, have been stalwarts of St Margaret’s for more than 50 years, and still sing in the choir. Most important events in the family have been celebrated there – baptisms, confirmations, weddings (no funerals that I recall). Sitting in the pew behind me was a woman who I remember from way back in the 60s and it struck me that we have both been in that church together on various occasions for more than 50 years.  While I freely admit to being slack in the churchgoing arena, I am more than happy for everyone to do whatever makes them secure and particularly if it is something that contributes to the greater good of the world.
I still enjoy singing the carols that I remember from my childhood – they have not changed although the odd word or two has been modernised, for no good reason – and look forward to this annual celebration in old, familiar surroundings where I can sing as loudly as I like and know that I am no worse than the person doing likewise next to me.

For those who observe this season from a different angle, it remains a season of peace and goodwill towards man.

No comments:

Post a Comment