Wednesday 3 December 2014

More blowing about

The southeaster is bashing my garden yet again, relentlessly so, and there seems no solution but to let it blow itself out and then clean up the damage. Watering is for potplants only as it evaporates before your eyes, and staking the delicate plants, such as tomatoes, is the only security measure possible. I suppose it's just part of the cycle of life and will have to accept that some things won't survive. As the years go by, my garden becomes more indigenous and survivalist. The bougainvillea suffers the most in the wind as it grows over the roof of the house and receives a battering of note, both winter and summer, although on reflection I believe that bougainvilleas benefit from rough handling! A neighbour of mine used to regularly beat hers with a stick and break off bits and pieces, and it always was a magnificent show in season.

If there are any bird's nests in the hedges and trees, the eggs or nestlings must surely have been cast out and there will be many unhappy bird parents right now. There has been little activity in the garden, birdwise, over the last few days and I am hoping that it is the wind keeping them at home and not Mango Kitty and Mr Bigglesworth!

Time has caught up with me and I must away to Toastmasters now!

No comments:

Post a Comment