Saturday 6 December 2014

A Clovelly Childhood #7

Seeing the full moon rise as the sun sets on a warm summer's evening takes me back some 50 years to a Clovelly childhood, when we roamed freely between the neighbours' homes as a gang of children growing up in a secure, idyllic community. We all lived up on the mountainside, and had sweeping views of the valley before us, the towering mountain on the right and the sea on the left and at sunset we would often be on someone's balcony, princes and princesses of all we surveyed, and sing loudly as only uninhibited and unself-conscious children can in the innocent days of youth.

Two songs that have remained forever in the songbook of my mind were, of course, silly verses, and I wonder (those of you who were part of that gang) if you remember them?

"On top of spaghe-e-e-e-tt-i-i-i
All covered in cheese
I lost my poor meatball
When somebody sneezed!
It rolled off the ta-a-a-ble
And onto the floor
And then my poor meatball
Rolled out of the door!
It rolled in the ga-a-a-rden
And under a bush
And then my poor meatball
Was nothing but mush!"

The full moon always brings memories of this one:

"I went to the animal fair
All the birds and the beasts were there
By the light of the moon
The giddy baboon
Was combing his auburn hair!
The monkey gave a jump - whoops
Right onto the elephant's trunk.
The elephant sneezed
And fell on his knees
And what became of the monkey, monkey, monk....?"

What marvellous days those were and such harmless fun in a time without technology. They really were the best of times!

No comments:

Post a Comment