Monday 15 December 2014

More massive seas!

It's no exaggeration to say I have thousands of photos of the sea. Digital photography has allowed me to click away relentlessly at every wave I spot from my balcony, and it's going to take many hours to sift through them to make up a manageable collection. Because I face the setting sun, the swells pick up the most incredible shades of green, and every wave takes on a different shape, never allowing for repetition and familiarity which could breed contempt (i.e. make me think that a wave's just a wave).




 I think what mostly fascinates me is the tremendous power, the unstoppable force that drives these waves - usually strong winds blowing across the south Atlantic. When they come up against the continent of Africa - the only thing that can stop them - the energy dissipates by shattering against the landmass, in the process rising to some immense heights in particular places. I am very fortunate to live on the doorstep of just one such place, the Outer Kom, a world-class surfing spot not for the faint-hearted and am treated to regular displays of massive waves.

Isn't it amazing to know that the air that we live in without noticing can initiate movement of something we can dive through without resistance and turn it into a force that can destroy? How puny are we compared to the magnificence of nature!

No comments:

Post a Comment