Thursday 11 December 2014

Cleaning up

Who else struggles to take those foil lids off the cream and yoghurt? I opened one of these beauties the other day, dressed in black pants and shirt, and as I pulled the little tab, which as always split into two little triangles, leaving the centre still firmly glued, the resultant release of pressure blasted cream all over me and the kitchen. Mopping up cream is on a par with spilled milk - it seems to spread a greasy film in all directions from the original spot, and if it gets between the floorboards, you're really in trouble. Where are the dogs when you need them? Fortunately it was more of a large splatter than a spill, but it would have been better had the cutlery drawer not been open at the time.

The same scenario ensues every time I open a yoghurt, and I can't help wondering whether the powers that be couldn't use just a little less adhesive. It would certainly take a few irritations out of the exercise.

Speaking of splatters, I have discovered (as many of you will have) that you can in fact do your laundry without any detergent whatsoever. The plastic ball filled with ceramic beads that can be purchased at your local supermarket is all you need. Throw it into the machine with the laundry and it will come out clean and smelling like nothing. No more detergent smell and believe it or not, no others either. A great solution for those who have an allergic reaction to detergents, or can't afford it! It is supposed to last 3 years, and I certainly hope so! It means that the grey water (my washing machine is plumbed straight out into the garden) will have no chemicals and the plants can only benefit from that. I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment