Saturday 27 December 2014

A bit of this and a bit of that

After some intensive gardening in the morning, I took the opportunity to take a nap yesterday afternoon, while HWCFA was snoozing under a tree. I was lulled to sleep by the sound of the immense seas outside my window, but it wasn't 20 minutes and I was unceremoniously pulled back from the Land of Nod by another sound outside my window. It was the local minstrel troupe doing their Boxing Day thing, wandering the streets of Kommetjie and entertaining us with their own special renditions of Christmas carols and other festive favourites.

Unfortunately I find the dreary, somewhat off-key playing of the trumpet to be both mournful and discordant to my ears, and I would gladly have paid them to take "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" further down the road, but they must have decided to take a rest, as there was a lengthy pause before I heard them strike up another jolly tune about a block away.

With all chances of sleep blown to the wind, there was no alternative but to get up and make tea, and by then high tide was pushing and it was time to go down to the sea again and watch the waves and the surfers and take another 300 photos with my 10x zoom lens, standing next to a man with a tripod, on which was balanced a camera with a lens about 50cm long with a 15cm aperture. Feeling suitably out-zoomed, I retreated to the seclusion of my balcony, where I enjoyed the view with a cup of tea and a mince pie.

A fairly uneventful day, but pleasant

.

No comments:

Post a Comment