Friday 17 January 2014

Trimming trees, supersonic sight and post office perk

Sadly, the beetroot I burnt last night is just that, burnt. The taste has permeated the beetroot and there is no salvaging it. I'm sure my porcupine won't turn up its nose - it seems to eat anything except carrot tops, the ribs of spinach, squash and watermelon skins. Otherwise it is a veritable vacuum cleaner. So no beetroot tonight for me.

My neighbour very kindly instructed his gardener to trim the tops of the trees growing between his house and the path along the edge of the bay, and I now have about 2 feet extra view of the waves. You can see him at work in the treetops. A large vessel (USO) passed by a while later and I took the opportunity to record another event seen through The Gap!

The fighter jet that gets hired out to take the well-heeled on a 2-minute flip around the Peninsula was at it yesterday and today. The jet far precedes the sound of its coming and it is well past the lighthouse before you hear the screaming of the engines. I was fortunate to be on the balcony this morning when it came past, barely above the level of the treetops in my line of sight and possibly only as high as the lighthouse and as it went by, the pilot banked to a vertical flight and I was treated to a top view of the jet. It was a really impressive sight and it's a pity it flashes by - there's no chance of ever getting it in the frame for a picture. I'm sure it's not supposed to hug the coast and fly so low as it causes panic among the birds, not to mention a raised heart rate at the sound, but at least it gives us an opportunity to witness a marvellous spectacle. Whatever would the Wright brothers think?

The only other bit of excitement I can record for today was finding out that HWCFA is officially in the category of pensioner and I should be looking for discounts everywhere! We get a 1/3 reduction on the post office box rental - who would have thought that!?

No comments:

Post a Comment