Sunday 3 July 2016

Diverse friendships

The people I am privileged to call friends run the gamut of society, both socially and intellectually. They range from destitute to mega wealthy, almost illiterate to professors, straight or gay, vegan or carnivore, atheist to orthodox, scientists to psychics, can't-boil-an-egg to gourmet chefs. This allows me to enjoy a broad spectrum of this thing called Life, stretching from basic reality through a comfortable existence to a space where the driven find themselves. It enables me to measure my own successes and failures, test my ability to walk in another man's shoes, stretch my imagination and capacity for learning and give me a more balanced perspective on the world.
These people that I call friends have one thing in common - they have demonstrated kindness, compassion and generosity of spirit. Those are Life's important attributes and are the common bond. All else is what makes up the individual and is not the basis of friendship. Allowing everyone to have their own views makes for stimulating conversation and food for thought, rather than the mundane and stifling. To look down on the uneducated or impecunious doesn't elevate us, and comparison to the more fortunate does not make us inadequate.
There is so much more to the world than we will ever know or understand, but broadening our outlook is a great start. I consider myself tremendously privileged to have such diverse friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment