Monday 18 July 2016

A tosser for a day

Spent a gorgeous winter’s day being a tosser – a pancake tosser! While I didn’t get there quite as early as some, due to the tossers on our roads clogging the free flow of traffic, I would say I put in a good three hours of tossing at a fundraiser for a skatepark to provide outdoor activity for young people, a much-needed input into the community. I am a firm believer in sport being a way to give people an opportunity to have a place where they can experience teamwork, achievement, a healthy lifestyle and social interaction in a safe environment, broken bones aside.
However, the reason for the fundraising was not the significant purpose – I just enjoy this sort of event, no doubt going back to the times when I helped out at the church white elephant stall as a child and found that I really enjoyed interacting with people from behind a counter. Perhaps I should have been a shopkeeper! I have also represented a confectionery company at food and wine shows and relished the experience, although the hours are long and I was much younger then! I like to think I could sell ice to an Inuit, but maybe that’s pushing it!
As I left town in the afternoon, the expected cold front could be seen approaching, and wisps of low cloud straggled across the towering face of Table Mountain, with the sun still casting a warm glow on the cliffs behind. It was a most beautiful sight, and if I hadn’t been hurtling along the freeway, I would have taken a few snaps with my cellphone. But I wouldn’t want to be a tosser.

No comments:

Post a Comment