Thursday 5 June 2014

Jumping onto the bandwagon - consumer awareness

Once again I must take issue with a 'special' at Pick n Pay. Last week there was a prominent Save sign on rindless back bacon at R20, which seemed like a bacon lover's dream come true. As I stooped to retrieve a few packs from the bottom shelf - placed to draw your attention from the upper shelves - I scanned all the other bacon pricing to make sure this was in fact the cheapest on shelf.

Imagine my surprise when my eye fell on the same brand of rbb at R28 on a higher shelf. I picked one up and compared the two and fancy that! the one on special was 200g and the normal one 250g. Why the need for two weights for the same product? Did .... order too much of the 200g packaging or were they asked to use it for the special promotion?

Pick n Pay puts up labels to enable you to compare products by weight/Rand, and on comparing the two, the special was in fact cheaper than the normal product. But as always, my gripe with them is the way they advertise their specials. The consumer is led to believe that they normally pay R28 for the product, when in fact if they had bought the lesser weight not on special, it would have been R22. Not quite the bargain basement price that they want us to believe.

I have had issues with them before on their methods of advertising specials and have in fact been successful in having a special offer removed from the shelves while I watched. Retailers are in business to make vast profits for their stakeholders, and shopping should always be done with circumspection. Bulk packaging is very often more expensive than regular sizing and the weight/Rand label should always be examined for comparison. In this respect, I can commend Pick n Pay.

My sometimes anal obsession with price-checking of specials and readiness to confront store managers is based on a desire to ensure that consumers who are not able or willing to do this themselves can still have a voice.


No comments:

Post a Comment