Sunday 1 June 2014

A brisk walk in the wind

The day started out cloudy and a little windy, but soon the wind had swung towards the south west and an invigorating walk along the boardwalk at Slangkop lighthouse beckoned. It was by no means cold, and the rough tumbling of the waves created a roar which was music to my ears, the endless motion of the ocean as it sweeps up to the coast of this Cape of Storms. The tide was low but the swell moved in strongly in an untidy manner and no surfers were evident. We passed no one on our walk - perhaps they had been earlier or thought it might be too cold.

The little vlei at the start of the boardwalk has already filled with water at this early stage of winter and if June is what it should be (sunny days), it may not be a good time for frogs to spawn as the water will soon dry up. We passed stretches of sandy patches where the white daisies that open in a brilliant display each Spring are already sprouting their leaves, and it looks as though our 'snow' of Spring will rival all previous years' magnificence.

A light buffeting in the wind (not the kind you eat) made walking pleasurable, not cold and not hot, the perfect conditions for a quick spin around the block. Monty (the dog) is getting old now and only goes out for the sniffing - he doesn't need the exercise! Susie stays at home - she is too nervous to walk in areas she is unfamiliar with now that she can't see, and I doubt whether pushing her in a wheelbarrow will help her sniff the messages! It could also get me a bad name (of course, I probably already have one, with my little woolly hat which makes me look slightly more than middle aged, I have been told!).
 How magnificent is this vista? I must have hundreds of them from all the walks over the years, and yet I keep on clicking away - it's just a view I never get tired of, with every wave a new one and every cloud a different shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment