Friday 13 June 2014

A special 'honey moon'

Beautiful mild winter's day in Kommetjie today. After doing some hacking back in the garden, planting onions and peas and finishing some work(!), I took advantage of the approaching sunset to take Monty for a walk along the bay in front of the house. As usual, he was the only dog on a leash, and we were constantly surrounded by boisterously bounding large-breed dogs. Fortunately he held his own in the melee and we emerged unscathed, but it will never be something I enjoy. Pity no one ever heeds the by-laws which are there for the convenience of all. I can only think that when I was a small child a big dog must have barked at me, because I have never been able to completely overcome a slight nervousness around big dogs, no matter how docile.

I met an old friend along the walkway and we chatted amiably as the sun sank into the sea and the cotton wool clouds lit up in its rosy pinks. All too soon the air took on a chill and it was time to get home before dark, and a delicious dinner of haddock kedgeree!

Tonight is full moon and it's Friday the 13th. Not being of a superstitious bent, my only interest in it is that it is called a 'honey moon' because it is most likely to glow yellow (moon is at perigee and atmospheric dust interference) and will occur again on a Friday the 13th in about 35 years or so. This is your only chance, some folks! Go outside and enjoy the sight - it must be on the rise right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment