Saturday 21 June 2014

Another fun day in the garage

We awoke to a spectacular winter's day in Cape Town - a fitting start to winter - with clear skies, no wind and the luxuriating warmth of sunshine! Mango Kitty and Mr Bigglesworth were outside before sunrise and up in their favourite place - trees! Although they spent all day outside, my day didn't quite turn out like that.

It started with our usual Saturday morning brunch - Mom, Dad, two sisters and me - and because of the lovely weather, we went to the Easy Dig at Goemans Nursery along the Kommetjie Road. I instantly succumbed to a new variety of aloe and was lucky enough to find one that already had four 'babies' crowding out the pot, so that can be shared among the family! Dad likes to be inside at the fire, so we spent a pleasant few hours at the fireside, but not in the sunshine.

When I got home, all the cars were out of the garage (8-car garage - not all of it occupied) and I heard the dreaded words 'we're going to screed the floor'. I ask you with tears in my eyes! So while, doubtless, the rest of the world took a day off, we mixed screed by the bucketload. I poured and cleaned implements in between each mixing, while HWCFA spread it. It took much longer than anticipated (of course) and was back-breaking (what a surprise!) and every time I went outside to wash the bucket out, I looked up at the azure sky, the warm glow of winter sunshine on the mountainside and the kitties frolicking in the undergrowth, and muttered to myself.

Obviously we didn't get an awfully large area done and I have been told that tomorrow we will continue. I can't tell you how I am looking forward to that. I haven't mentioned that I have a business appointment at 9, so I'll keep that as a surprise.

And so the first day of winter, the best day we have had in about 3 weeks, was spent inside. Why don't we do these things in summer, when it's too hot to be outside? Men.

No comments:

Post a Comment