Sunday 21 July 2013

Exercising the brain

They say (the ubiquitous 'they') that by doing a puzzle (crossword or similar) every day, you keep your mind active and so do not let it fall into atrophy. It certainly seems to work for Mom and Dad, who in their mid-80s are still actively involved in many interest groups and are well able to conduct more meaningful conversations than some who are 60 years younger. So I will follow their example and make a habit of exercising the brain every day.

I'm particularly fond of Sudoku. Not the easy or medium, as they provide absolutely no basis for creating new neural pathways, but the difficult and cruel versions. It doesn't matter whether I only complete one out of fourteen; the sense of achievement is far greater having failed and tried again. The biggest problem with Sudoku, for me, is that I cannot allow other thoughts to intrude, such as what I have to do tomorrow or whether I should make apple crumble for pudding. I have to concentrate only on Sudoku, otherwise I have no chance whatsoever of solving the puzzle.

I can think of all sorts of things when doing a crossword and sometimes fill in two words at the same time. I suppose this is part of being female - you can multitask, But when it comes to logical thinking, you have to be focused and single-minded.

Uh-oh! I think I just opened up a gap for men to say that's why they are logical and women are scatterbrained!

No comments:

Post a Comment