Tuesday 2 July 2013

Quality eating outweighs quantity

I spend a lot of time reading labels in supermarkets and researching good eating habits. I make green juice nearly every day with celery, coriander, ginger, cucumber, kale and pear/apple. I add powdered superfoods to this juice from time to time. Morning oats are accompanied by raw honey and cinnamon, and no juices that are bought have preservatives or sugar added, and definitely no aspartame. Every meal is cooked from scratch unless no offensive ingredients are in a ready-made product. A wide variety of spices and herbs are used in my cooking for their beneficial properties.

Jars of pumpkin pips, raw almonds, sunflower seeds, dried blueberries and goji berries line my shelves for anyone who feels like a snack at any time. Homemade chocolates made from raw cacao and honey with chopped almonds are in the fridge for the sweet-toothed.

In the garden you will find aloes, bulbinella, rosemary, lavender, savoury, thyme and the medicine cabinet is stocked with tissue salts and natural antibiotics and anti-inflammatories. Even the birds are catered for with indigenous vegetation.

I endeavour to only buy and serve food that has a high nutritional value, with the outlook that quality far outweighs quantity. I have just published a book on this subject.

You can imagine how I despair when I find an empty McDonald's packet in the dirtbin! I wonder if I will ever reach the stage where I actually give up feeding my family good food and just leave them to their own devices? I feel like it would be handing them a lifetime of disease, so I will persist for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment