Thursday 4 July 2013

Wildlife witterings

It appears I am in good company as I give frequent reports on the presence or not of the flamingos of the Kom. Richard Branson is now blogging about the flamingos on his personal piece of paradise, Necker Island in the Caribbean. His are featuring in a book which follows the daily lives of 4 particular birds and abounds with photographs. He threw out a question on how they turn pink and I replied, so am waiting for his personal response! (It's okay, I have plenty of time).

I was lucky enough to see a young boubou shrike catch a locust in the garden and drop it on the brick paving right in front of me. It was unperturbed by my presence and even ignored my dog as she rushed by on her way to get a piece of biltong in the garage that He Who Can Fix Anything was dishing out. The bird pecked repeatedly at the locust as it tried to hop away, but the insect was no match for that beak, and I was very happy to have a garden pest removed organically rather than having to try and catch it myself. I could never stand on a locust and my modus operandi would be to walk up the driveway and hurl it as far as possible in the opposite direction of home.

The mole rat that has been throwing up heaps at the top of the garden has disappeared way up the road now, but a running mole now seems intent on loosening the top six inches of soil of my entire garden, ready for spring plantings. There won't be an insect or worm left by the time he has finished. I'll leave that problem for the cat to sort out!

No comments:

Post a Comment