Friday 1 January 2016

Witsands, near Kommetjie

A trip down to the crayfish factory early one morning was unusually pleasant, due to the lack of wind! It's not my favourite beach, being bleak and isolated on one side of the island and bleak and isolated with lots of dogs on the other side. I've never enjoyed being alone on a beach and even with HWCFA I feel he wanders into areas that always leave me with the feeling of being watched - this is something I have had my whole life and it suddenly occurs to me that this could well be the reason why I refer to myself as 'not a beach person'. Perhaps something happened - a movie or story - in the past that left an impression, a disconnected memory.
However, that morning it didn't feel too bad and we had a pleasant meander along the shoreline, although not far, and I mainly took photos rather than walked. The waves behind the factory roll in from the deep Atlantic and some spectacular swells come in, challenging big wave surfers to their utmost, and often smashing through the windows of the house perched on the low rocks and sweeping out of the other side during a really heavy winter storm.





Oystercatchers frequent the coastline and provide a colourful subject for the lens, while a slightly misguided mole almost reached the water's edge - must have been pretty damp in that burrow! The shadows create an interesting optical illusion. The holes are from pecking birds and sundry sand creatures. Always something fascinating to observe, although a shame that the shell variety is limited to mussels and periwinkles. The best shell beaches are further up the coast towards the Indian Ocean, although lovely rounded pebbles can be collected here by way of some compensation for compulsive collectors!

No comments:

Post a Comment