Wednesday 6 January 2016

Yumcious! It really was!

I would make a hopeless restaurant critic. Not because I have no taste or am not discerning, but simply because there are too many things I don't eat to enable me to make a fair assessment of the food. There are many restaurants that don't have anything on the menu that falls within my dietary requirements and I have in fact sometimes left without sampling the menu. And so my quest for a great restaurant revolves around what they offer that falls within the ambit of my diet. The following are not on the menu: sugars, wheat, dairy, legumes, grains, nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, aubergines, peppers), mushrooms and raw cruciferous vegetables. What is left? Meat, fish, fowl, eggs, nuts and seeds and lots of fresh vegetables, as well as a judicious selection of fruits in the berry department!




The way to ensure that every meal is tasty and satisfying is by having lots of different flavours through use of herbs and spices and combining as many textures as possible to meet the sensory requirements. The search is over! Jenny Morris' new restaurant in the Cape Quarter, Yumcious, lives up to its name and the weigh as you go bar provides a veritable feast for the pickiest eater (i.e. me) with sufficient variety of dishes and daily changes to ensure that my tastebuds are titillated! If I worked in the area there is no doubt that it would be my regular lunch takeaway spot, as everything can be taken home to treat those who couldn't be there in person. Jenny's trademark is flavour and visual appeal, lavish and luscious, yet retaining the homemade appeal of good basic ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment