Thursday 12 November 2015

Toastmasters - more than you expected

Having been a Toastmaster for nearly two years and achieving Competent Communicator status, I feel I am well placed to give an opinion on the value I have received on my journey with the organisation to date.
1. I have been given the opportunity to speak to a group of people on any subject, with certain criteria to be met. This provides a platform to touch on subjects close to one's heart, but not a soapbox, as the speech must be over within 7 minutes. You would be amazed at how much can be said in 7 minutes.
2. I have been evaluated immediately afterwards on the good, the bad and the ugly. The evaluator gives constructive criticism, giving praise where deserved and guidelines for improvement, which is put into practice as you proceed through your speech manual.
3. I have evaluated others' speeches. This has been daunting, as I have always lived by the motto 'if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing!' This valuable aspect of the Toastmasters programme teaches you to listen to what a person has to say without participating in the conversation, rather assessing the person's ability to communicate as opposed to just talking. It is a great exercise in diplomacy (something I could also work on, being inclined towards brutal honesty rather than pussy-footing!) and yet is worthless for the speaker being assessed unless the feedback is honestly accurate. So a great deal to be learned by both sides.
4. I have learned a great deal about other people, as speeches tend to be autobiographic in nature, even if not intended. It has been eye-opening to comprehend the complexity and variety of thought patterns of the human species, in every possible way.
5. I have learned to step up to the plate. There are plenty of opportunities to serve the club and leadership roles abound. When asked to fill a role, the only answer should be yes. There is no other way to self-improvement.
6. I have met the most inspiring, interesting and fun-loving people!
If you would like to gain a whole new outlook on life, visit as a guest and see how to do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment