Monday 30 November 2015

A community that cares.

Wow! Another day in Cape Town that reminds everyone why they live here - well, certainly in Kommetjie! Mirror-smooth sea, boats bobbing and trawling chugging back to harbour, looking well laden. Gentle drift off the sea to turn down the heat a little. Magic.
Earlier I had to go over the mountain and what a pleasure that was. The fynbos on Ou Kaapse Weg is nothing short of miraculous - a kaleidoscope of pink, orange, yellow and now an intense ultramine. The purple scabiosa is still carpeting the upper level and is best viewed from a 4x4 - at last, a use for one of those!
Passing through what was once Tokai forest, I was amazed to see dog-walkers and horseriders braving the heat - perhaps it's only me who doesn't enjoy the sun on my head! They certainly seemed at peace with the world.
As I look towards the Back Table from the deck - dinner al fresco - I can see smoke from a large fire, presumably the one that devastated large parts of the west coast in the last few days. Our local township suffered a huge loss of homes and belongings yesterday, and I joined the throng who headed to the Living Hope community hall where donations of food and clothing, bedding and basic necessities were being accepted and prepared for distribution. The displaced may not be sitting enjoying the best that life has to offer, but at least they are getting a small semblance of civilisation into their lives through the fine efforts of the South Peninsula communities, which never fail to impress with their charitable work when authorities don't necessarily step up to the plate. But I digress...
So I loaded up a trolley with buckets, soap, towels and facecloths and there was no room for the small bit of fruit and vegetable shopping I did at the mall. I lie - what really happened was that I simply forgot to take my bags when I left the till! I have to confess this has happened before, and once again nobody chased after me. One can only wonder. I was rescued by my son, who dragged himself off in the heat to go all the way back to the mall and retrieve the avocados and bacon. I thought I had dropped them off with the buckets at Living Hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment