Saturday 28 November 2015

A good excuse to rest

I'm taking full advantage of the instruction to rest my foot and am reclining on the couch at the window, gazing up into the sky (what else can you see when you are reclining?) and enjoying the bird activity. High, high above, almost touching the clouds it seems, a lone seabird wheels idly on the thermals. Perhaps it is looking for a meal, but I think it more likely to be chilling on a quiet Saturday morning now that the frenzy of the sardine run of the last week is over. My fisherman friend was right - the sardines will disappear when the sea flattens. As soon as the wind swung to the southeast, they were gone, as were the screeching gulls to my relief - the soft squawk of the resident terns is far more easy on the ear!
A jackal buzzard chased a lesser raptor across the sky just now in a playful game of catch, as they both seemed to be enjoying the chase and counter-chase without any real intention of a kill. Perhaps a little practice warm-up before some earnest pigeon chasing later in the day? About 30 pigeons just swept by in a panic, so a raptor can't be far behind.
Even higher, swallows are criss-crossing the sky as they snap up the insects that are so prolific at present. Flying ants seem to abound and cling to the washing on the line, needing hand removal as they stubbornly refuse to detach themselves. A few hot days are forecast, so let's hope the birds do their job!
All this activity is making me tired - I think I'll have a pre-prandial nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment