Sunday 22 December 2013

Shopping - done and dusted

Got up early yesterday - not that I don't anyway - but set off for the dreaded mall at 8am armed with a shopping list. First port of call was the coffee shop to fortify myself with a large cappuccino and rewrite the shopping list under headings. I find it easier to be organised if I know what I need from each shop, although, much like a speech, it never turns out the way it was originally intended. But a rough plan is always a good idea.

It seemed as though no one else had decided to get there early and I browsed the Christmas stores set up for the occasion with no sense of being crowded out, and also no urge to actually buy anything. The universe conspired to lead my eyes to just the right gifts for those who will appreciate them, at prices which didn't break the bank. For myself, I looked for a headband with antlers on as a fun 'fascinator' for Christmas Day, but couldn't find exactly the right look - perhaps there is a message in that!

I met up with just the right friend for a fairly quick chat between the meat counters where the fridges kept us cool, and still there was no sense of frenetic last-minute shopping - everyone seems calm and cheerful this year, although perhaps the earliness of the hour helped. Soon I was out of there, shopping completed within two hours, and it was time to go to a dear friend for a birthday tea and sticky bun at Noordhoek Farm Village.

We settled for a scone, thinking it would be the least sinful snack from the selection, and were presented with gargantuan muffin-style scones which would have fed a family of four. If only we had known, we would have shared one. However, we ploughed manfully through them, and fortunately they were excellent - light and crumbly - although I have to admit by later that morning it had started to weigh a bit heavy in the stomach and thoughts of an afternoon nap were rife.

All in all, my morning of Christmas shopping was over by 11.30 with no pain. It pays to keep things simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment