Monday 16 December 2013

We saw a full moon rising

Now that was a fun evening! A full moon rising in the East and the sun setting in the West, and a drumming circle on the lawns at the Kom again. Although a very chilly wind gusted from time to time, it didn't dampen our enthusiasm, or that of the onlookers, and our hands certainly weren't cold - in fact, our drumming was hot, even if I say so myself.


This is only the second time I've joined the drumming circle and I found that it's not just randomly hitting a drum, as many suspect. It's not a difficult technique, but unless you get it right, the resonance leaves something to be desired! At first I thought I just had a bum drum - after all, there was a piece of tape on it (battle scars from previous beginners, I fear) - but after watching other drummers' hand positioning, it soon became clear that I was a bad workman. What a difference that made! Our last song (drumming is communication) was an absolute delight.

The drumming was led by the always-delighted-to-see-you and radiant Michelle, whose obvious passion for the art is infectious and genuine. She also makes the most incredible dreamcatchers, which is what I remember her doing some years ago when I had my art studio in Noordhoek. I'm sure she has many strings to her bow and will forgive me if I'm unaware of them.

Many people look askance at this type of art form, with preconceived ideas of what 'type' of people indulge in it. All I can say is, it seems that ordinary people like me enjoy it, and children and dogs are welcome too!

Never overlook an opportunity to be happy or have fun. It can happen anywhere. Seize the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment