Monday 6 May 2013

Enjoying the company of old friends

We are still basking in autumn splendour here in Cape Town. Cool mornings make way for clear and windless afternoons, ideal for whiling away the time in idle conversation with old school friends. At least that must be how it appeared to all the people who I knew that were at the same restaurant! They were snatching a bite to eat in between business appointments or rushing off to the airport to catch a plane to LA. But I see all conversation as information gathering on the path of Life.

I love to hear how the people I was at school with have made their way through life, their achievements or not, successes and failures, happy times and sad, for this is what life is about - living. If we don't have these opposite poles, we are unable to appreciate the good times when they are there, or be able to empathise with those who have had less fortunate lives, unless we talk about it.

While we were sitting enjoying a simple but excellent lunch and catching up, a number of friends came up and hugged me and I was struck by how privileged I was to know such warm and giving people, being somewhat reticent myself and often, I think, not giving them the attention they deserve. But I prefer one-on-one conversations rather than a crowd all at once, as I find myself wanting to tune into everyone's conversation at once, and it is really hard to concentrate on what someone is saying when both ears are listening in to two other conversations, trying to remember what you want to say to each one later.

I think that is probably a good case for the saying, two heads are better than one!


No comments:

Post a Comment