Monday 20 May 2013

Talking about the weather

Simply the most maaahvellous May, m'dears! It's getting almost embarrassing to report on the stupendous weather we are having in Cape Town this May. We must enjoy it while we can, because history tells us that May can produce some of the biggest storms of winter, before settling down into a calm and sunny June before the onset of real winter at the south-western tip of Africa. Europe and Britain seem to be suffering from an unusually poor Spring but I'm sure things will improve. I posted recently that I had planted the first Spring seedlings, the bokbaai vygies which are literally carpets of jewels in their masses up the West Coast in August. Today I had a look at the little plants and there is already a bud opening - I fear it's in for a shock later, but no doubt they will withstand winter - the seasons seem a little crazy at present.

I was sent some photos of the South Atlantic volcanic island of Tristan da Cunha by a friend who lives there as part of the fishing industry, and was amazed to see that the children were running around in skimpy sundresses and that the sea was completely calm. Not what I imagined the South Atlantic to look like, but perhaps it was a good day. He says that the climate is much like Cape Town, and it looks like a very interesting place to stay, if only for a short while. No doubt those who live there find it idyllic as the only inhabitants are those who are working at the fishing company based there, and so it must be a very close community made up of people who were picked for their ability to live harmoniously with their colleagues!

I remember when I was starting school, way back in the early 60s, that the volcano erupted and ships had to be sent to evacuate the residents - some of them came to the school and were involuntary celebrities. After all, how many people can say they have been rescued from an exploding island. I'm not sure if they expect any eruptions in the near future, or if they are even able to predict them, and I'm sure it adds a bit of an edge to living there. I'm not sure if I would enjoy living on that edge!

No comments:

Post a Comment