Wednesday 15 May 2013

Surprising service

My daughter's car has been making a noise like a V8 without an exhaust and she is too embarrassed to drive it, so today I just bit the bullet and headed off for the nearest exhaust shop to hear the bad news. I was prepared for the worst - new silencer, tailpipe, bit in the middle, front silencer, etc. I drove the car onto the lift with some trepidation, expecting a quote of at least R1 000 and maybe more. Leaving the engine running and the car filling the workshop with fumes, I climbed out so they could jack the lift up, then went underneath for a look. I always like to make it seem as though I know what I am looking for and understand what I'm being told, even if I don't!

What a welcome surprise! The exhaust pipes had become separated, hence the deafening noise and lack of power, and there was only a small hole in the middle pipe. They pushed the pipes together, welded them in place and welded the hole closed. Total cost:  R180! Such service is rare these days and they really made no attempt to sell me a new exhaust, so they will continue to get my business. While I was there, they also made a quick job of repairing a puncture in a new-looking tyre on a 4x4 and that man was also looking pretty pleased.

Another interesting bit of information regarding service delivery: my daughter complained to the City of Cape Town yesterday that there was a loose manhole cover in the road nearby that knocked every time a vehicle drove over it and it was keeping her awake at night! Lo and behold, they arrived this morning to find it and fix it. Who would have thought they had the resources to attend to a rattling manhole cover. The alternative, if there had been no response, would have been to pinch the cover, sell it for scrap metal and wait for the Council to replace it! I believe that they are being replaced with some kind of plastic anyway as manhole cover theft is rife among those who prefer a life of crime and general antisocial behaviour.

So there are two good news stories in one day! Perhaps there is hope after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment