Monday 13 May 2013

A riot of rugs!

At last I have taken my Persian rugs out of storage in the garage! They were packed away about seven years ago after my cats became unhousetrained due to advanced age and I have lived with bare wooden floors since then. It seems that it may now be safe to put them where they belong, on the floor, and they look beautiful. I bought six of them at an auction for about R9 000 some years ago, and I have come to the conclusion that even if they were of any value, they are carpets and are meant to be used, no matter what mishaps may befall them. In fact, I can enjoy them even more because I don't have to be concerned about them being ruined. I reckon they will last 100 years if other people's are anything to go by, so a thing of beauty really is a joy forever, so my house is now a riot of rugs!

The same thing goes for the Royal Doulton tea service. Use it as your everyday tea cups, not those awful pottery mugs that cost R4 at the flea market. Enjoy your tea from fine bone china and if it breaks, the world will not end and the sun will rise the next day. There is no better way to live a fine life than to drink your tea from a cup that you can read a book through. You can also drink it pretty much straight from the teapot, although I've never found out why you can drink tea hotter from bone china than a mug. However, tea and china come from China, so there must be a correlation.

A good way to drink your tea without a care in the world is in a teacup that is one of a kind. The old china shop in Kalk Bay has hundreds of tea sets that they will sell as individual cups and saucers. where you can find matching pieces for an existing tea set or start your own collection of unmatched teacups as has become all the rage. Throw out those display cabinets and dust off the silver! Use and enjoy the beautiful household items you have. You can't take them with you.


No comments:

Post a Comment