Thursday 2 May 2013

Doing a recce before travelling

I'm working on a short book about our travels in Spain and Paris last year. Looking through our diaries and the photographs makes me want to do it all again. It is only once you have been somewhere that you realise how much better prepared you should have been, and yet you really need to go there on a reconnaissance holiday to suss the place out first before you know what you are dealing with.

In Spain, I would have taken a travel kettle and mug with plenty of coffee, tea and milk sachets, as well as energy bars so that I could get sustenance at any time of the day or night without looking for a restaurant. I would have studied a guide book for every single place we went to, including a detailed road map, as the GPS is unreliable at times, and I prefer to have a picture of the map in my head - having a photographic memory makes this easy. I would have gone onto Google and hopefully found every type of road sign including road markings so that I would know what I was supposed to be doing and where I could park.

I would have ensured that all accommodation was on the ground floor or at worst, the first floor, as there is often no lift and never anyone to carry your luggage. I would have taken only two pairs of shoes, one already on my feet - they take up so much room in a suitcase. Definitely wouldn't take a laptop again - no need as you can access a computer just about anywhere. I would have brushed up on my Spanish far more diligently.

In Paris, I would have spent longer than a week! I must say that second time round it was easier to identify where you wanted to go and not be too concerned with being a tourist, more relaxed and spending more time just observing the rest of the world go about its business. So the third time will be even better.

All things considered, I think we did pretty well for first-timers and have a good idea of what pitfalls to avoid for next time. I hope it won't be too far in the future!
Started raining in Paris, no umbrella, so told M&D to stand in the phone boxes!

Standing in a queue for fruit and vegetables at the market!

No comments:

Post a Comment