Tuesday 31 May 2016

Taking care of pets

Cleo has had her operation and is enjoying a bit of a lie-down. No running after the cats or annoying Monty. At least that is a milestone completed, and a bank account depleted! Monty seems quite bouncy today and I think he has relieved himself! Little blind Susie, who snaps and growls at Cleo, sniffed her out and jumped up onto the couch to make sure that the pesky puppy was alright, then jumped back down without knowing how far it was to the ground, coming a bit of a cropper on the way; isn't it amazing how dogs and cats instinctively know when another one is feeling poorly? I must say, on the rare occasions when I take to the couch, I soon find myself surrounded by my animals.
It's always a relief when they are in good health and so stressful in bad times, and it is a blessing to have vets and assistants who so obviously love animals and are always on hand to offer sympathetic advice and a tissue. But I do wonder what has changed from the days when I was a kid and all our pets lived a rough, tough life, catching lizards and mice on the mountain and the odd snake (and plenty of birds) and never needed a vet. When they became old and weak, nature took its course and they faded away peacefully under a tree. Perhaps too much attention is paid to diet and special pellets now, when a bit of mince and odd leftovers was enough for our Tibby?


No comments:

Post a Comment