Tuesday 24 May 2016

Switched off

There are days when I wish cell phones had never been invented. They are such an invasion of privacy, not to mention an annoyance in public. At a restaurant the other day, our enjoyment of lunch was severely impaired by a man conducting business from his phone and laptop at a nearby table. I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in anybody else's conversations and particularly when every word is bellowed as though they are speaking through two tins connected by a piece of string, or shouting from distant hilltop to distant hilltop. Surely it is time for some social etiquette to come into force?
Even less pleasant is when my own phone rings. It has come to the time for me to either keep it on silent or just plain switched off. Can you imagine how difficult it is to answer the phone, which is in the deepest recesses of a large handbag, while trying on a pair of jeans in the fitting room of a local chain store? For a start, the mirrors and lighting have put me in a foul mood. They must surely be funfair mirrors! And then how come the jeans I am wearing fit perfectly but the same size in the jeans I am trying to squeeze a leg into would only be suitable for a stick insect?
The ultimate annoyance is, of course, when HWCFA phones for no reason other than to ask where I am. I'm standing on one leg in a fitting room trying to squeeze into jeans that patently will not go further than my knee and now is not the time to phone me, I hiss into the phone, trying not to be overheard as I break out into a froth of irritation caused by multiple disappointments - appearance in mirror, clothes that are obviously wrongly labelled, etc. Now that is good cause for switching off!

No comments:

Post a Comment