Sunday 1 May 2016

Milnerton flea market

It was a perfect day for a visit to the Milnerton flea market. This place is a nightmare in the heat, the rain, the southeaster, the northwester - what's left? Today was magnificent - light southerly wind to temper the warm sun - absolutely ideal. The stallholders all thought it was a busy day, but I thought that the crowd was thin compared to the Muizenberg flea market. Maybe the layout is deceptive in that regard. Certainly Milnerton is easy to navigate - not just because the sea is over the railway line! It's quite odd to stand in the car park and see ships at anchor in a sea that is at eye level! The view of Table Mountain is breathtaking even for an old Capetonian like me. My mountain. Now that I am 60 I qualify for a pensioner's discount on a Friday LOL, so you can expect to see me queuing some time soon. I think I have only been up there three times in my life, an absolute disgrace!
The variety of goods on sale and price ranges make it so worthwhile for keen scavengers and collectors of bric-a-brac. I found four lovely old teapots for a special friend, so had the pleasure of haggling and purchasing without adding to the household goods! The ideal situation for someone who is trying to minimalise her life!
The de luxe portaloos are a sight to behold! Having seen the inside of every toilet in Europe as a child, and again in later years (I have fantastic kidneys), no outing is complete without an inspection of the facilities! These are spacious, spotless and have a view from Robben Island to Devil's Peak. There are toilets in Tuscany that would be jealous. And they are free!
Four hours passed in no time as my son was in his element among all the old curiosities and artefacts, and I was delighted to find a table and chair in the shade of a German sausage vending hut, where the tea was the best I have ever had. I spent a while in that spot, watching the passing parade, and a sight for sore eyes it was. Enough material for many a blog from observing the diversity of the population - and all so relaxed and comfortable together, too, despite what social media and politicians would have us believe. It's good to get out there and test reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment