Sunday 29 May 2016

Fun at the stove

A fun day today at the Good Food and Wine Show! I took part in the cooking demo by the Giggling Gourmet, the inimitable Jenny Morris, and was thrilled to produce a plate of very tasty lamb and salad with a few simple, fresh ingredients, a trademark of her cooking style. Students from the International Hotel School stood by to ensure that no fingers were sliced (although I have to admit I took a sliver off a fingernail before being shown the correct position of the fingers!) and help with the unfamiliar cooking apparatus  (those fancy black ceramic jobs that are instantly hot). My assistant was the sweetest young girl and I hope she will have a great career in hospitality.
The important point that Jenny brought across was that we eat an excessive amount of protein in the South African diet and we only need a piece of meat (if that is our preference) the size of the palm of our hand. With meat prices set to soar, it's good to know that eating less of it will actually benefit us.
Our vegetable accompaniments should also be varied with the emphasis on flavour through judicious use of herbs and spices. The point of tasty food is that, by savouring every mouthful, we enjoy it more and consume less. A win-win situation, indeed.
She is, of course, preaching to the converted, as I have become very aware of the truth of the saying, You are what you eat. So I'm looking forward to being a little bit less of me!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment