Tuesday 17 May 2016

Domestic duties done

For a change our road was the one that had electricity while the rest of Kommetjie was cut off for maintenance! We are obviously on a separate circuit, so I could do the mundane jobs that required electricity - dishes and washing. This of course only entails packing the goods in the machines and they do the work, but that is about the extent to which I am prepared to go! Gone are the days of stamping the washing in the bath - I don't think I could cope with scrubbing clothes on riverside rocks, although I doubt whether today's fabrics could last more than two of those cycles - and am very grateful to live in a mechanised age.
My first washing machine was a twin tub and despite the additional labour required to lug the wet washing from the one side into the spinning tub, it negated the necessity for joining a gym, and the wash and spin cycles for a full load were completed in about 40 minutes. Vastly more efficient than today's fully automatics which seem to drone on for hours.
The new dishwasher, whose virtues I believe I have already extolled, takes 3 hours 15 minutes for the cycle, but is super silent and fantastically energy efficient. I think it works on the basis of gently steaming all the residues from the crockery rather than by forceful jets of water, hence the lengthy programme. Whatever it is, it works for me!
Today was fine and sunny, with a bit of a berg wind heralding the possibility of rain tomorrow, so plenty of washing was done and dried in a flash, which is a good thing, as I have a bit of gallivanting up my sleeve for tomorrow, and preparations for Dad's birthday lunch on Thursday. He will be 88, a fine old age, and we are going to spoil him suitably!

No comments:

Post a Comment