Wednesday 27 April 2016

A decade of infinite possibility

How long have I waited for this day! The start of a new decade - a decade where I can care even less what the world thinks of me than when I turned 40 and 50! Such freedom to think for myself and not worry whether I am conforming to the norms of society. Not that I have totally abandoned all of them. I still believe we should do unto others as we would have them do unto us - that just about covers everything: manners, kindness, caring, courtesy - but definitely don't care whether I have the latest phone technology, perfect hair and makeup, designer clothes, or watch reality shows on TV. I gave up newspapers and the news channels long, long ago and my life has not taken a turn for the worse.
I have decided to devote my 60s to ensuring that as many people as possible start reading labels on food and educating themselves about what they are eating and spending their hard-earned cash on in supermarkets. Encouraging discussion about things that they have kept to themselves for fear of being ridiculed; long-hidden traumas that they have held inside since childhood and been too frightened to discuss for fear of being labelled in some way. Being a listening post for those that will speak, adviser to those who seek it and encourager of those who are afraid to shine their light on the world.
Nothing is ever as it seems. Nobody has gone through life unscathed. Many live small little lives, unaware that they are in fact masters of their own destiny. Everything is about choice. I have chosen.
If we all choose to follow our dreams and step off the narrow track and out into the field of all possibility, the world can only become a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment