Saturday 2 April 2016

Crisp, sunny day with a short shower

A pleasant, slightly chilly day, mostly spent working at the computer with sunshine outside. On deciding to take Cleo for an evening walk, of course a passing cloud shed its load on us, but fortunately was only a pale grey cloud and not at all ominous. We can't melt, and many people were out on the boardwalk hoping for a good sunset, which appears imminent now that I am safely back inside, slaving over a hot stove.

I don't know about you, but when I cook, I operate on automatic pilot, as my mind is always far away on another mission (rather like when I drive). So when I do something not normally on the schedule, I find it difficult to recall the incident. Here I am referring to looking for the missing butternut. I knew I had chopped it in half and scooped out the pips but couldn't find it when I wanted to put it in the oven. I searched high and low, in the bin, the fridge, the deep freeze, the bathroom, my bag, the cutlery drawer, on the deck, and even under the table, thinking that maybe Cleo had run off with it. Another 'am I going batty' incident. Finally, I remembered that I had put it in the microwave for a few minutes to give it a headstart, something I never do! Phew! so relieved that I'm not batty. All under control and in the oven - delicious free range lamb chops and baked vegetables coming up.
On the subject of batty, my three bats that have always lived under the eaves appear to have disappeared. I haven't seen them for months, and wonder if they go into hibernation (although it's been too hot for that) or whether they have relocated. Perhaps they had a close call with Mango and decided to look for a new belfry. That would be sad, as I have always welcomed their presence as they snap up the evening insects which otherwise might be feasting on me. I have heard that cats are good at catching them.

No comments:

Post a Comment