Wednesday 20 April 2016

Photographic fumbling

Is it only me or does everyone else never have their camera at the ready for that perfect shot? I am always on the lookout for birds to photograph and as I sat down now to make an early start to my work before sunrise, I heard an owl hoot. I whipped my head around faster than an owl at a mouse convention, and there it was in the dead tree next door, feathers fluffed and calling quite animatedly. I rushed for the camera and of course had to check all the settings; still in daylight mode, etc. and so quite unsuitable for the current conditions. I snapped a rather dark shot and of course it flew off from its picture-perfect situation and landed on a nearby roof with a dark building behind it. Absolutely useless. More fumbling and I got the settings right as it took off again, so all I have is a rear picture of it in out-of-focus flight! Those award-winning bird photographers must spend days getting the perfect picture. They deserve all the accolades they get.
But it was still very exciting to hear the owl call and actually have such a clear sighting. They are among my favourite birds and the very reason why I never put any poisons in the garden or for rats that may come up from the seashore. Rather a rat in the roof than a dead owl!

No comments:

Post a Comment