Monday 29 February 2016

Sensory delight!

My pride and joy, what Mother called the George lily, and which is more commonly known as the Scarborough lily, is currently bearing 51 blooms. This bulb likes to be crowded in a container and multiplies prolifically. I started off with about 10 bulbs, the original stock having been passed on to her some 60 years ago by her mother-in-law, Dad's mother (obviously). I don't know how long she had them before that.
To say that they are happy in their location is an understatement. They are in semi-shade as the bars of the railings shade them in summer and winter, and they receive the full brunt of the winter storms. This is of no consequence as they consist of a few strappy leaves, no longer than 20 centimetres. I give them a sprinkling of water every day for no particular reason other than they are among the other pot plants, yet it is pure unadulterated water from the heavens that they need to bloom. At this time of year, within a few days of a rain shower, buds will appear almost miraculously before my eyes, and I rush out a few times a day to see how many have appeared. This year has been its crowning glory and I hope it will continue into the future.
It's something Mother would have loved to see and I know her spirit is rejoicing.
But the best thing about this mass display is that, when I go out onto the balcony at night for a last look at the stars, I am assailed by the most incredible fragrance which pervades the air. I had no idea it even had a scent as it is not apparent during the day. No perfume could smell as sweet. It is wafting through the doors as I write this.
Another treat for the senses from this most rewarding of indigenous bulbs!

No comments:

Post a Comment