Monday 1 February 2016

Taking a gap

It's February and already the days are noticeably shorter, especially in the morning when the sun is rising closer to 6.30 than 6, and my early morning picture of Table Mountain gets later and later. We've had plenty of practice for February's heat during January, and perhaps we will be pleasantly surprised and find it a little cooler. We eye every cloud to see whether there is any prospect of a drop or two falling down onto our parched gardens, the lawn crisp underfoot and the sandy patches like walking on hot coals if you are like me and cannot bear shoes in summer.
I've decided to devote some time to myself from 2016, most notably for the purpose of peace and quiet to get my brain back into gear to finish my novel, which has been neglected for far too long, and I am beginning this 'me time' with a trip out to Bonnievale this weekend for a star party with a large group of enthusiasts. I have visions of walks along a dusty farm road with the smell of the thorn trees and warm breeze sweeping the foothills during the day, and balmy evenings gazing out into the heart of the galaxy where millions of stars will shine their starlight on a group of people who are prepared to sit there all night just to enjoy it. I doubt whether I will make it much past midnight, but being an easygoing person, I will go with the flow and maybe just have a snooze. After all, nobody will know, as no lights are allowed.
Let's hope things don't fall apart on the home front - they can manage for two weeks without me but short-term is not taken seriously enough to even water the potplants. But they're going to have to practice, as there are plenty of places to go, things to see and stuff to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment