Saturday 13 February 2016

A visitor to the vegetable patch

I have a Peter Rabbit in my garden, and he has eaten all the radishes!
I got up early this morning to give the vegetables a decent watering with the municipal water, it being Saturday and a brief allowance is made to keep the garden alive. As I opened the tap to get optimum pressure, a movement caught my eye and I apologised to Mango for wetting her. But it wasn't a cat, it was a beautiful pale brown bunny, with dark tufts on its ears and flufftail. I knew from whence it came, as its owner, the young lady next door of rooster and assorted chickens fame, had been calling it earlier in the week. It dashed behind the garden shed, as Peter Rabbit would do and I assumed that it was safely home.
A later conversation with my neighbour revealed that today was the day that Peter Rabbit and his companion, perhaps Flopsy or even Cottontail, would be relocated to a more suitable home at a nearby farm. It was an act of kindness, but, as with a cat who can never be found when it is time to leave for the vet's appointment, Peter Rabbit had sussed out the situation and taken the gap to the other side of the fence.
Later in the day, he darted out from behind some barrels under the deck and hared across the dead lawn, disappearing down the rabbit hole into safety beneath the shed. Hopefully he won't be discovered by the cats or dogs and will eventually find his way back to his hutch.
He really is a very beautiful bunny, and he can't reach the lettuces, as they are in the hanging garden, so he is welcome to the radishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment