Sunday 31 May 2015

Winter seas and colours

So here we are on the last day of May. King Neptune is not yet placated and continues to send rollers in from the South Atlantic, but in a more orderly fashion than yesterday. The wind has swung to the south east, with accompanying sharp drop in temperatures, and snow is falling in the mountains of the Western Cape. A watery sun peeks through the clouds, casting a shadow across my desk as I type this, bringing false hope of natural warmth. I'm afraid the only warmth being generated is from the tumble drier and electric blanket right now!
The weather in Paris is a carbon copy of here, with wind, cloud, a little rain and 17 degrees. While watching the tennis at Roland Garros, I saw raindrops on the camera lens and automatically stood up to go and fetch my shoes in from the balcony, before realising that I wasn't there! Perhaps we really can be somewhere else simply through our thoughts! How marvellous. I know where I would be right now!



The aloes are out in force now, and the verges of Kommetjie are filled with every variety of these fascinating and colourful plants. This is the best time of year to buy them as you can see what you are getting. I have two new varieties with beautiful colours and shapes to fill the front garden with interest at the bleaker times of year. With the prospects of drier summers, succulents and aloes will predominate from now on. Hopefully they will survive the vicissitudes of the porcupine's dietary preferences!

No comments:

Post a Comment