Sunday 24 May 2015

Swan Lake

I was never one of those little girls who dreamed of being a ballerina. I doubt whether it ever entered my head. Cowboys and Indians, Cops and Robbers or Dinky cars were more my line. Horseriding was the favoured pastime of my early teens. But I can still appreciate the blood, sweat and tears that goes into becoming a professional ballet dancer and admire the skill of the artistes, although you won't find me scanning the internet or local papers to ensure that I don't miss a performance.
However, the arrival of the St Petersburg Ballet at Artscape was accompanied by such a fanfare and influx of family from afar specially for the event, that I took advantage of a spare ticket to attend what is no doubt the world's favourite ballet, Swan Lake. The music held the greatest sway in the decision, as there can't be many who are not delighted by Tchaikovsky, particularly when the Cape Town Symphony orchestra is performing. We are fortunate to still have a culture of the arts here in Cape Town and a wonderful theatre for its many forms.
From the opening bars to the final standing ovation, there wasn't a moment when the audience was not enraptured by the fabulous costumes, the music - from lilting to dramatic, the lavish sets, the corps de ballet who gave the most credible impression of swans that a human could give, the powerful and fascinating sorcerer, and outstanding choreography.
The danseur was strong and princely, but the danseuse was delicate, elegant, poetry in motion, a statuesque swan in life and death. The final scene was performed with such drama that I was quite overcome.
Although nearly three hours long, the afternoon passed in a flash - even the very young children in the audience didn't fidget. I can't say if I will go to a ballet again, but I can safely say that I have seen the very best.

No comments:

Post a Comment