Thursday 15 November 2012

The Beemer #3

Thinking about the fun I had with this car! One of the things I loved about it was the size of the engine. It was massive and completely filled the engine compartment. You could barely fit your hand between the bits and pieces (you can tell I don't know what to call them!). One day a friend brought his car around so that He Who Can Fix Anything could fix something in it. I look at his engine, flung open the bonnet of the Beemer and said, "That's not an engine! This is an engine!" It really was very impressive. Of course, this remark emanated from my favourite movie at the time, Crocodile Dundee, where Mick is being mugged in New York and he says to the mugger, "That's not a knife! This is a knife!" as he pulls out his crocodile-killing knife  from the back of his pants. Never failed to laugh at that and was thrilled to be able to use the line.

Another favourite trick was to drive into the parking lot at work, where the staff would be relaxing between shifts, and swing into my parking space without slowing down, stopping one inch from the wall to get everyone's heart beating for the day ahead. Somehow, luck was always on my side and I never made a fool of myself by misjudging the distance.

Ah, those reckless days of youth!

No comments:

Post a Comment