Tuesday 27 November 2012

Another gallivant with Granny!

In a previous post about my late Granny, I mentioned that a number of family members had inherited her traits, and my sister immediately assumed that I meant her and her tendency to be unwavering in her opinions. However, what I really meant was that I seem to have inherited her tendency to turn things on and then forget about them.

Another memorable memory lapse (she would today call it multi-tasking) was the time she was ironing. In those days, a blanket would cover the kitchen table and an old sheet would provide the smooth surface to iron on. She put the iron down and went to hang up the dress and never returned to the kitchen. She went down the road to the shop.

On her return, she found the blanket smouldering, and took it outside and propped it against the windowsill. It continued to smoulder and eventually the window frame caught alight, which was only noticed when my mother and her sisters, who were playing a game, came into the kitchen and found it was filled with smoke! Great excitement ensued and the neighbour was duly called to come and put the fire out! Imagine if she had burned the house down.

I'm sure she would have been forgiven - Grandpa must have been a very understanding man.


No comments:

Post a Comment